Canadian metal heads Anvil were awarded with the coveted DVD/Film of The Year Award for Anvil: The Story Of Anvil at the annual Classic Rock Roll of Honor Awards at the Park Lane Hotel in London Monday (Nov. 2). The 2008 documentary film about the Canadian heavy metal band was directed by screenwriter Sacha Gervasi, whose previous credits include The Big Tease (co-written with Craig Ferguson) and The Terminal.
The movie features interviews with other musicians who have been influenced by the band, including Slash (Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver), Lemmy (Hawkwind, Motörhead), and Lars Ulrich (Metallica).
The late John Bonham of the Led Zeppelin group was also given recognition at the event with the Tommy Vance Inspiration Award, while punk pioneer Iggy Pop was named a Living Legend. For the Classic Album, Aerosmith took home the honor for their "Rocks" LP. Guitarist Joe Perry accepted the trophy. Album of the Year went to AC/DC's studio album "Black Ice," released in October 2008, while Band of the Year was won by Iron Maiden.
The list of winners at the Classic Rock Roll of Honor Awards:
* Best New Band: Chickenfoot
* Album of the Year: "Black Ice" AC/DC
* Band of the Year: Iron Maiden
* Best Reissue: "Reissues" Black Sabbath
* DVD/Film of the Year: "Anvil! The Story of Anvil" Anvil
* Event of the Year: Download Festival
* Outstanding Contribution: Ronnie Wood
* Tommy Vance Inspiration Award: John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
* Innovator: Ginger Baker (Cream)
* VIP Award: Doc McGhee
* Metal Guru: Biff Byford (Saxon)
* Spirit of the Prog: Dream Theater
* Marshall 11 Award: Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top)
* Childline Rocks Award: Steve Harley
* Classic Songwriter: Paul Rodgers (Bad Company)
* Classic Album: "Rocks" Aerosmith
* Breakthrough: Joe Bonamassa
* Comeback of the Year: Mott the Hoople
* Living Legend: Iggy Pop